Wednesday, February 18, 2015

/ˈfeməˌnizəm/

Feminism is a broad term and means, by definition, "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men". Were this definition more widely known, I doubt things like #womenagainstfeminism would be movements. At least, I hope not. There aren't a whole lot of people these days (thankfully) who will openly oppose equality and yet so many are hesitant to identify as feminists and others would prefer to openly oppose the label. 

After a closer look at Nicki Minaj, "the most globally visible female rapper of all time", according to a piece in a recent interview with Vogue, I realized that perhaps the issue of strong females choosing not to identify as feminists is not simply because they do not understand how truly non-offensive a term it is, and rather feel betrayed or attacked by those who already have assumed the label. On the topic of feminism in the Vogue article, Minaj clearly believes in the equality of females, especially as she takes on the male-dominated industry of rap, but acknowledges the scrutiny she has received from feminists:



I think of myself as a woman who wants other women to be bosses and to be strong and to be go-getters. I've always said that... there are things that I do that feminists don't like, and there are things that I do that they do like. I don't label myself. I just say the truth about what I feel: I feel like women can do anything that they put their minds to. That's really the truth- I started off with just a dream.

One of the controversies, Minaj is referring to is her song, Anaconda, and its overtly sexual music video. Vogue describes what she does well, "she greets the male gaze and then subverts it [and] makes music with feminist themes while maintaing a competitive edge."  Many feminists also praised how Minaj reclaimed parts of the gaze-inspired song, Baby Got Back, in her own lyrics. The criticism came after the release of the album cover and later the music video, which features a lot of twerking, butt slapping, and minimal clothing.






In her article analyzing respectability politics and Nicki Minaj, Carmen Rios provides an excellent summary of why these contradictions are so problematic.
When feminists honor Minaj’s feminist lyrics, as they did with “Anaconda,” and then admonish her for expressing herself with sexually charged images and videos, they are playing into the same dominant narratives about women’s sexualities that perpetuate victim-blaming, slut-shaming, and the subordination of women.
Mychal Denzel Smith adds:

Whenever black women own their sense of sexuality and it appears to not be controlled by the hetero-male gaze, the whole world gets into a tizzy.
Both of these articles point out the obvious flaws in the arguments of those who criticize Nicki Minaj for her video. Yes, she featured females wearing sexy outfits, including herself.  Scantily-clad female dancers are so common in the hip-hop videos of her male counterparts that few bother to criticize them. Additionally, in the music video of Baby Got Back, parts of which she reclaimed in her song, the females dancers are also dressed in similar clothing. The important distinction is that Minaj and her dancers are not the subjects of the male gaze, they are reclaiming and expressing their sexuality. Those in an uproar over this video seem to have forgotten that women can be sexual, too. 

One such forgetful soul, took the time to write an open letter to Nicki Minaj, from the perspective of a concerned father of a teenage daughter (though he did mention that, as a man, he appreciates her figure).



What is the message you are sending when you determine how you will inspire these young people? How will boys, already conditioned to sexualize girls at a young age, internalize this big booty of yours?
Many a logical thinker would wonder why he is not writing to the number of male artists who blatantly objectify females in their music videos, like Sir Mix-A-Lot, instead of Minaj. Clearly, though Minaj, did not make this video for this father full of misplaced concern. In the Vogue interview a few days ago, she summarized quite nicely (rappers have to be good with words): 


There are sexual things that I do that aren't for a man. I feel empowered by being sexy and being comfortable enough to be sexy on camera. 
Nick Minaj is holding her own in an industry that traditionally only values women as props in music videos. Her artistic and sexual expression is not for the male gaze and those who proudly identify as feminists but are ready to attack anyone who moves their ass a little (or a lot), need to think twice about alienating such strong females. Similarly, those who criticize Minaj for being so unapologetically sexual in the name of protecting the children need to recognize the clear double standard they are creating. 

She can be and has been as sexual as her male counterparts, as crude and unapologetic, and as talented in her lyrics, though not always with the recognition she deserves. Nicki is a feminist because feminism is about women's rights and equality, including in the world of hip-hop and rap. 






4 comments:

  1. I’ve always had a problem with identifying with being a feminist. Like you said, its not because I don’t believe in women’s equal rights but rather I don’t want to group myself with the “bra burning, men hating” type of feminists by owning the label. Just to clarify, I honestly don’t know many women who claim to be feminists who fit into this stereotype, but the thing is, that’s just it- that is the dominant stereotype about feminists. I’ve heard the argument over and over again about how a woman embracing their own sexuality and their sexiness is a form of breaking the role of the female body as a subject of the male’s gaze but I personally think that statement in itself is quite problematic. Nicki Minaj states in many of her interviews that she’s being sexy for herself and she isn’t doing it to turn on a man or please him; but this begs the question: where did the concept of being sexy even originate for women? Can a woman claim she is being sexy and use that term and while at the same time deny her placing her body as an object of desire? And secondly, what does it mean to be sexy for ourselves? If we want to be sexy for ourselves isn’t that something private we do in our rooms or when we’re alone. I mean don’t get me wrong, I could be completely off the charts here, but I’m having a bit of trouble differentiating between being the object of desire and saying you want to be sexy for yourself but at the same time achieving sexiness through male validation. Just to play devil’s advocate, I want to ask the question of whether or not women can ever break away from being objects of desire. Can we ever really be equal, I mean is it in our “nature” or all these things all socially constructed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your questions are very valid and I want to look into them further in my blog post later this week, but for now I think that the way for women to break away from being portrayed as mere objects is to have women doing the portraying. The content producers in the entertainment industry, for example, are overwhelmingly male, which explains the lack of roles with depth available to females in films especially and the prevalence of sexually objectifying roles. I think once we get more females behind the camera, as writers and producers, will definitely help this.

    So back to Nicki- if we have more female artists producing their own music and directing their videos, I think we will start seeing stronger female roles and probably less objectification. I don't think that necessarily means less sexual expression and it doesn't need to.

    All of the inequalities in our society are 100% socially constructed which makes them possible to change, but difficult. How do you change society?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job with this post. I also feel like it's ridiculous that Nicki Minaj is constantly berated for included images in her music videos that men include all the time. The difference here is exactly what you said- Nicki chooses to portray herself as sexy, and that gives her a voice and agency which is not given to women in several of the other music videos created by her male rapper counterparts. A feminist is defined as someone who believes the sexes should be equal, and I do feel Nicki embodies this goal. While she sometimes goes about it in a way that artistically speaking I don't enjoy, she is in control of her own editorial representation of herself, in the same way that many men within her industry are, which makes her representative of the goal of a feminist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a super interesting viewpoint and I agree with your take on the double standards of the music industry. As for Sahar's comment on what 'sexiness' is, I honestly think the best way to describe it is confidence. For example, when I go shopping and find the perfect outfit... I wear it because I feel like I can express my 'aesthetic' or whatever you want to call it. Not for anyone else, but just for myself. Now while there may be certain occasions where women dress up for men, it's just sexist to assume that we do that everyday. Now to play the devil's advocate, my question is this: I know a lot of people who honestly feel that things like nudity/sexuality are exploitative and they don't like it no matter who is producing the content. Do you think they're fair in having that opinion, and what would you say to them?

    ReplyDelete